jueves, 13 de mayo de 2010

THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH


A Declaration of Loyalty to America
Autor Desconocido (Cubano-Americano)

I AM AN AMERICAN OF CUBAN DESCENT, AND DAMNED PROUD OF IT!

While I detest the terms "Latino" and "Hispanic", I hadn't covered this subject before for fear of opening up a great big can of worms. However, I now feel I have to clarify a few things regarding the recent protests by "Latinos" or "Hispanics" throughout the US .

First, there is no such thing as a "Latino" race. There is no such thing as a "Hispanic" race. Both terms are contrived and used solely for census purposes. There is no such country as "latinolandia" and Hispaniola is technically half of an island in the Caribbean .

Second, I am not, nor will I ever be, part of "La Raza." Nor do I agree or support their current protests. Some of you may, and that is fine, but I do not.

Third, and most importantly: I have never and will never, despite having many issues with the government of the United States throughout the years, burn a flag of the United States of America. I am Cuban by birth, American by the grace of God, and a darned proud, dignified, thankful and respectful American.

Fourth, while I certainly sympathize with the Mexican people for their country's economic and social troubles, I refuse to be lumped together as a class or a race simply because we speak a similar language. If Mexicans and Mexican-Americans had wanted my support, then they should have supported the cause of a free and democratic Cuba , instead of the majority and at times the Mexican government having sided with and legitimizing the government of Fidel Castro.

Fifth, there is a difference between a Cuban living in the United States and a Mexican living in the United States . One is a political refugee and the other is an immigrant, respectively. When Mexicans are being oppressed and have their basic human rights trampled on by their government as Cubans do, then perhaps my opinion will change; until then, the aforementioned difference stands.

Mexicans and Mexican-Americans may very well have legitimate gripes with the government of the US , but as La Raza, the flags they are burning and flying up side down below the Mexican flag do not speak for me.

I am not Mexican; I am not Latino; I am not Hispanic.

I am an American of Cuban decent, and damned proud of it.

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario